What Is Mebaral?
Mebaral, also known as Mephobarbital, is a drug classified as a barbiturate, which means it depresses the central nervous system. Mebaral is used medically as an anticonvulsant to treat epileptic seizures, as a sedative and as a drug to help treat anxiety. It is generally distributed in the form of tablets. Like most barbiturates, Mebaral is addictive and long periods of use or high doses of the drug can lead to dependency as the user builds up tolerance to the substance. The symptoms of barbiturate dependence are similar to that of chronic alcoholism.
Other brand names for Mebaral:
Penalties for Mebaral Possession and Distribution
Mebaral is a potentially addictive prescription drug and it therefore it is classified as a Schedule IV substance by the DEA under the Controlled Dangerous Substance Act. This means that Mebaral has been found to have:
- A relatively low potential for abuse.
- An acceptable medical usage in the United States. Mebaral is used as a sedative, anxiolytic and anticonvulsant.
- A relatively low potential for physical or psychological dependence.
The severity of the charges for illegal possession of a prescription drug like Mebaral depend on how much of the drug you had in your possession at the time, whether you were under the influence of the drug without a valid prescription and if the authorities believe you intended to distribute the drug to others.
- Illegal Use of a Prescription Drug or Possession of 4 or Fewer Doses – Disorderly Persons Offense
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Fines of up to $1,000
- Possession with Intent to Distribute 4 or Fewer Doses – Fourth Degree Offense
- Up to 18 months in prison
- Fines up to $10,000
- Possession with Intent to Distribute Between 5 and 99 Doses – Third Degree Offense
- Between 3-5 years in prison
- Fines up to $200,000
- Possession with Intent to Distribute More Than 100 Doses – Second Degree Offense
- Between 5-10 years in prison
- Fines up to $300,000
Facing Down a Mebaral Possession Charge?
At the law office of Schneider Freiberger, we know how to handle prescription drug cases like those involving Mebaral. We have experience defending clients from all manner of drug charges and we will work tirelessly to get the best possible outcome for your case. Make sure you have the experts on your side when your day in court comes.