What Is PCP?
Phencyclidine, more commonly known by the abbreviation PCP, is a dissociative hallucinogenic drug commonly misused as a “club drug.” In the past, PCP was used as an anesthetic for humans as well as animals in a veterinary capacity. However, this usage was halted due to the unpredictable nature of the drug’s effects on the user. Now is it generally only used illegally, usually in either a powdered form or as a liquid. A common use is to lace other drugs like marijuana with PCP for added effect. PCP interferes with signals in the brain by inhibiting dopamine and serotonin reuptake. It also interacts with the brain’s opioid receptors, which is has a wide range of effects, from euphoria to depression.
Streets names for Phencyclidine (PCP):
- Angel Dust
- Embalming Fluid
- Rocket Fuel
Penalties for PCP Possession and Distribution
- A high potential for abuse
- An acceptable medical usage in the United States. (However, PCP is almost never used medically as an anesthetic anymore.)
- A potential for severe physical and psychological dependence.
The severity of drug charges for PCP in New Jersey vary based on the amount of the drug you had in your possession and if the authorities believe that you had an intent to distribute the drug to others.
- Third Degree Possession of PCP
- 3 to 5 years in prison
- Up to $35,000 in fines
- Second Degree Possession of PCP with Intent to Distribute (less than 10 grams)
- 5 to 10 years in prison
- Up to $300,000 in fines
- First Degree Possession of PCP with Intent to Distribute (more than 10 grams)
- Up to 20 years in prison
- A mandatory minimum time frame of parole ineligibility of between one third and one half of the total sentence
- Up to $500,000 in fines
Contact Us If You Are Facing PCP Charges
Facing PCP charges in New Jersey, especially if the prosecution believes you had intent to distribute, is a frightening prospect. The penalties are harsh and will usually come with a criminal record. At Schneider Freiberger, we have the expertise in drug cases to give you the best chance to avoid lengthy prison time and hefty fines. Let us help you put together a solid legal defense.